Bring learning to life!
Tutoring is a rewarding experience that enriches the lives of both students and tutors. Vita offers volunteer opportunities in Basic Literacy, English as a Second Language (ESL), and Decisions for Living (DFL) tutoring. Volunteers are trained in each program to work with adults in the community or the Bucks County Correctional Facility.
Characteristics of Effective Tutors
Successful tutors are ones who:
- …have a positive outlook on life. They believe that individuals are capable of positive change regardless of circumstance.
- …are empathetic. They have the ability to relate to what others are feeling.
- …enjoy a peer relationship with their students. They relate to their students as equals.
- …are reliable. Our tutors meet regularly with students to help students reach their goals.
- …maintain confidentiality. Tutors respect and use good judgment involving issues of learner privacy.
- …communicate regularly to the Tutoring Program Coordinators. They are instrumental in providing feedback needed to satisfy Vita’s funders.